Is your Apple Watch buzzing, but there aren’t any notifications when you check? This issue has been ongoing for some time. It is normal and considered the ‘ghost’ or ‘phantom’ vibration.
The earliest reports start from watchOS 3.0 users. Of course, it doesn’t happen to anyone every time. But why does it occur, and is there a way you can stop your watch from buzzing?
Why the Apple Watch buzzes when there is no notification
The main reason your iPhone keeps vibrating without showing any notifications is that it is experiencing system glitches.
The issue can also result from connection issues between the Apple Watch and your iPhone.
Ways to fix your Apple Watch
While the buzz can be fixed through a software update, Apple hasn’t released a specific update for the issue.
However, there are several ways you can fix the issue. They include:
1. Restart your Apple Watch
Since the main reason may be that your Apple Watch is experiencing system glitches, the best solution is to restart it. Doing so will remove all the glitches and bugs and restore its normality.
Disconnect your Apple Watch from the charger before you restart it. You can then follow these steps:
- Long-press the side button until you see the power button on the top right corner of the display.
- Tap the power button.
- Drag the power slider to the right.
- Once the watch is turned off, press the side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
You should also restart the iPhone that is connected to the Apple Watch. Follow these steps:
- Press and hold the side and volume buttons simultaneously until the screen’s power slider appears on the screen.
- Drag the slider and wait for the iOS device to turn off.
- Turn the device on by pressing the side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
2. Unpair your Apple Watch
It’s common for Apple users not to find their phones, especially when wearing the Apple Watch. The Find My iPhone app does not even help find it, hence the several complaints from its users.
The watchOS 3.0 introduced a feature where you get haptic feedback whenever you step away from your phone. You can turn off this feature on the Find My app on your Apple watch.
Next, open the menu and look for the Notify When Left Behind option at the bottom of the page.
3. Update your watchOS and iOS
Ensure that your iOS and watchOS are regularly updated to function properly. You can choose to update the operating system directly on your watch or through your iPhone through the following steps:
- Open the Watch app and then tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install. The update file is already downloaded if you see the Install Now notification. Tap on it and follow the rest of the procedure.
4. Turn off wrist detection
Another reason why your Apple Watch keeps vibrating without showing any notifications is because it does not sense your wrist.
If you are wearing it and it does not recognize it, turn off the Wrist Detection mode. Below is a procedure on how to do so:
- Open the Watch app on the Apple Watch.
- Tap on Passcode.
- Turn on Wrist Detection.
5. Toggle off the cover to mute
Cover to Mute is a feature like Do not disturb that is only available on Apple Watches. It blocks all Apple watch notifications when enabled. To disable it:
- Launch the watch app on your Apple Watch.
- Go to My Watch.
- Go to sounds & haptics.
- Then, turn off the Cover to Mute.
Suppose you have tried all the solutions above and your Apple Watch keeps vibrating; contact Apple Customer support for further assistance. You can also take it to the Apple store for the support team to look at the watch’s issue.
Stephanie is a tech writer with over 3 years of experience covering How To’s, Troubleshooting, and many other topics related to iOS, Windows, and Android. When she isn’t writing, Stephanie is either walking her dog or traveling.