It’s important to check your Airpods battery often to ensure they have enough charge to last a run, work session, or whatever else you’re using them for.
But, what happens when you don’t have the charging case? Can you check the Airpods battery without the case? Let’s find out.
How to check the Airpods battery level without the case
There are three ways to check the battery level without a case on iPhone and iPad.
1. Using Bluetooth
First, if your device runs iOS 14 and above, follow the guide below:
- Enable Bluetooth and ensure the Airpods are connected to your device. To enable Bluetooth, select Settings, then Bluetooth and toggle it On.
- Tap any blank space on your iPhone or iPad screen until the apps start to jiggle.
- Tap the plus (+) sign in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down and pick batteries.
- Select your preferred widget size by swiping left.
- Tap on Add Widget.
- Find a spot on the home screen to place the new widget or leave it in the widgets menu.
- Tap Done.
- Now, you can check the battery level of your Airpods on the battery widget. It will show the battery level of the Airpods even when they’re connected to another device.
2. Through widgets
The second option involves the following steps:
- Go to your iPhone or iPad’s first home page and swipe right to access widgets.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap on Edit.
- Next, tap the plus icon on the top-left corner then scroll through the widget list and tap on Batteries.
- For some older models, you’ll just have to scroll down and tap the green plus icon next to the Batteries widget. And to move the widget up, press and hold the horizontal lines icon on the right and move the batteries widget to a preferred place.
- You can adjust the size of the widget before tapping Done in the top-right corner.
In addition to the Airpods battery life, the widget displays your iPhone/iPad battery percentage and other connected devices like an Apple Watch.
3. Ask Siri
The third option is to ask Siri about your Airpods battery level. Simply say “Hey Siri” and follow it up with your question. For some models, you can activate Siri by pressing and holding the home button. If it doesn’t have a home button then use the side or top button.
How to check your Airpods battery level on iPad and iPhone
Normally, to check the battery level of your Airpods using the case, you should do the following:
- Ensure the Airpods are connected to your iPhone or iPad and turn Bluetooth On.
- Put the Airpods in the charging case and close the lid.
- Keep your iPhone or iPad awake and move the case close to it.
- Open the lid of the case and check the device’s screen.
- It might take a few seconds before the battery level of the Airpods and case finally pop up on the screen.
- To check the battery level of an individual Airpod, remove one Airpod from the case and wait for the battery levels to update on the screen.
How to check your Airpods battery level on a Mac
You can also use a Mac to check your Airpods battery level. Here is how to go about it:
- Put the Airpods in the charging case and close the lid.
- Click the Bluetooth logo in the top-right corner to turn it On. Ideally, if you can’t see it, click the Apple icon and pick System Preference from the drop-down menu. Click on Bluetooth and check the box next to it.
- Select your Airpods from the list of devices to connect with the Mac.
- If you can’t see the Airpods, disconnect them from other devices, then close the case and press and hold the setup button at the back until the light starts blinking.
- Open the lid of the charging case.
- The Airpods should appear under the Bluetooth devices and the battery level will be displayed below their name.
How to check your Airpods charging case battery level without an iPhone, iPad, or Mac
You can estimate the battery level of your case by checking the status of the lights. However, you must remove the Airpods first, because if you leave them in the case, the light will indicate the Airpods battery life.
When you see a Green light, the case has adequate charge. But, if the light is Amber, the case has less than 1 charge left. Finally, if there is no light, your case has no power.
How long should the Airpods battery last?
According to Apple, the statistics vary depending on the Airpods generation. Here’s the breakdown:
The first and second generation of Airpods
- These Airpods will give you 5 hours of listening to music or 3 hours of talk time on a single charge. If you charge for only 15 minutes, you get 3 hours of listening time or 2 hours of talk time.
- Multiple charging in your case will get you an excess of 24 hours of listening time or 18 hours of talk time.
Third generation Airpods
- These Airpods can get 6 hours of battery life if spatial audio is disabled, and 5 hours when it’s enabled. If you’re talking on the phone, you can only get up to 4 hours of battery life.
- If you charge for only 5 minutes, you’ll get 1 hour of talk time or 1 hour of listening time.
- After charging these Airpods multiple times, you’ll get up to 30 hours of listening time or 20 hours of talk time.
- Lastly, the Airpods Pro lasts 4.5 hours of listening time or 3.5 hours of talk time on a single charge. If you charge for only 5 minutes, these Airpods will give you 1 hour of talk time or 1 hour of listening time.
- When you charge it multiple times, you’ll get up to 24 hours of listening time or 18 hours of talk time.
How to check your Airpods battery without a case on Android
If you’re using your Airpods on Android, you can check the battery level by installing apps like the AirBattery. It will show a small pop-up with the battery status of your Airpods. You can search for other battery apps on Play Store.
Melvin is a senior writer at iMentality. A DIYer at heart, Melvin loves to craft things in the tech space. He has amassed over a decade of experience in tech writing with special focus on apps and tech guides.