Reddit has amazing features that make for a wholesome user experience. However, one feature that most users don’t understand is the default mute option for videos. Do Reddit videos have sound? Yes, you just have to enable it.
Method 1: Turn on the sound
The first tip is to turn the sound on the video you’re watching simply. Here’s how:
- Check if your phone has a silent switch on the side and turn it off.
- Launch the Reddit app or website.
- Find the video you want to watch.
- Click or tap on the video to enlarge it.
- The video will fill the screen or open in a web browser and start playing on mute.
- Find the speaker icon in the lower-right corner and tap on it to unmute the sound.
- The video will continue playing with sound.
- If you want to mute the video, tap the speaker icon again.
Read: How to play music from iPhone to Xbox 360
Method 2: Use third-party apps
If you’re enabling sound for a video labeled NSFW, Reddit will tell you the “Video doesn’t have sound.” This is because the app doesn’t play sound for such videos. However, there’s a workaround that involves third-party apps. If you are on iOS, get Apollo for Reddit from the App Store. If you are using an Android device, download Sync from the Play Store
Here’s how it works:
- Log in to your Reddit account on a desktop web browser.
- Click the downward-pointing arrow icon (v) on the top-right corner to open a drop-down menu.
- Select “User settings.”
- Click on the “Feed settings” tab.
- Under “Content Preferences,” toggle on “Adult Content.” Open your feed.
- Open Apollo or Sync app on your device and sign in to either app with your Reddit account ID.
- If the app asks permission to access your Reddit account, make sure you allow it.
- Find the video you couldn’t listen to before and tap on it.
- The video should start playing both audio and video. You should tap the speaker icon to unmute if you still can’t hear the sound.
Playing a video directly from Apollo
If you’re already on the Reddit app and come across a video that doesn’t play sound, you can select to play it in the Apollo app by using the guide below:
- Tap the three dotted lines on the top-right of the screen while the video is open on full screen.
- Select “Share” from the menu that appears on the screen,
- Scroll down and tap on the “Open in Apollo” option.
- When your Apollo app opens with the video, tap on the “Play” button.
- Tap the mute icon (if necessary) to enable sound.
- If you don’t want to shift back and forth between the apps, you can make the Apollo app your default application for accessing Reddit.
Hopefully, you’ve learned why Reddit videos don’t have sound and how to fix the issue.
Read: Fix an iPhone speaker that is not working during calls
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex