TikTok has been among the most visited social media apps, with millions of users worldwide. Its short videos and captivating content draw audiences. When downloading and using this app, you want to create, view, or share content with other users.
The app is available to use by people of all ages, even children and teenagers. However, at times, the app may contain explicit content inappropriate for children in this age group, and as a parent, you want to take the necessary precaution to block an app on your iPhone.
Well, read more of this article to learn how to do it.
Why block TikTok?
There have been concerns about using TikTok among our young generation. Since most of its users comprise children between 13-23, parents are worried about their children’s security and personal information revealed. In addition, some users reported that they experienced cyberbullying while using the app.
Furthermore, TikTok is one addicting app that leads to increased screen time. Teenagers spend most of their time using their phones, which worries parents. Research shows that teenagers who spend more hours on their smartphones are more likely to be depressed, anxious, easily distracted, and lonely.
It’s not that we are saying that TikTok is bad for children and teenagers. On the contrary, it is beneficial and has no ill side effects if the usage is kept in check. Parents who do not know how to manage screen time can install the Freedom app.
Using Freedom app to block TikTok
Freedom app helps parents teach their kids to set healthy time limits on their screen time.
Here is how you can block TikTok on your child’s phone using Freedom:
- Download the Freedom app from App Store and sign up.
- Tap on the Freedom icon to launch the app.
- Tap on Blocklist and then tap on Add a Blocklist.
- Type in your blocklist’s name.
- Tap on Add Block and enter the URL for TikTok, tiktok.com, then tap Add. Once you’ve named your blocklist, tap on Save in the top right corner of the screen.
- If you want to block TikTok now, tap on Start Session. Then, on the Devices list, you can block it either on your or your child’s iPhone, iPad, or both.
- Next, select a session length, or tap on End Time to choose when you want the session to end. Tap on Start to commence your block session.
- If you want the block session to start later in the day, tap on Sessions and then tap on Schedule a Session.
- Give your session a name and decide the beginning and end times. Later, select the blocklist you just created and set the device to your iPhone or iPad. Tap on save and wait for your session to begin later.
- If you want a recurring session, tap on Repeats and choose the days of the week listed that you want the block to be implemented.
You can also use the Freedom app to block TikTok videos on your iPhone. The Freedom app is available for free in the App Store for download.
Using the iPhone’s screentime feature
The iPhone has a built-in feature that allows you to set content and privacy restrictions on your phone or your child’s.
Below are steps on how to set this feature:
- First, tap on Settings and then tap on Screen Time.
- Next, tap Continue and select This is My (Device) or My child’s (Device).
- If you are the parent or guardian owning the iPhone and want to prevent another person from changing your settings, tap on Use Screen Time Passcode and create a passcode. Then, reenter the passcode to confirm the previously entered passcode. If you are using iOS 13 and above, you will be prompted to enter your Apple ID and its password, which will be used to reset the Screen Time passcode if forgotten.
- However, if you are setting up screen time on your child’s iPhone, follow the instructions until you arrive at the Parent Passcode and enter a passcode. Then, enter the passcode again for confirmation.
- Tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions. You will have to enter your passcode; from there, you can enable the Content & Privacy feature.
Ensure that the passcode you have chosen differs from the one you use to unlock your phone. If you want to change or turn off the passcode on your child’s iPhone:
- Tap on Settings.
- Select Screen Time and enter your child’s name.
- Tap on Change Screen Time passcode or Turn Off Screen Time Passcode.
- The device will prompt you to confirm access through Face ID, Touch ID, or your device passcode.
How to block TikTok videos
You may also wonder how to block TikTok videos on your iPhone. The video blocking feature varies from device to device. Most iPhones have an in-built blocking option.
To do this:
- Select the three-dotted icon on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Block User.
- Confirm your decision by tapping Apply or OK.
How to block TikTok from being downloaded
Use these steps to prevent your children from downloading and installing TikTok from the App Store or making in-app purchases:
- Tap on the Settings app.
- Tap on Screen Time on the Settings menu.
- Tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions, where it will ask you to enter your passcode.
- Tap on iTunes & App Store Purchases.
- Scroll through the listed apps and select TikTok.
- Select a setting of your preference and set it to Don’t Allow.
You can also change the password settings for additional purchases from the iTunes & App Store. You only have to follow the first three steps above and choose Always Require or Don’t Require.
When your child wants to download TikTok or any other app, they will be prompted to enter a passcode. It ensures security in the App Store and access to any other app on the device.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex