Omegle is a popular chat and video website connecting random users worldwide through video calls. You have to add a topic of interest, and Omegle will connect you with a random user with a common interest.
The only problem with using this site is that it does not verify the user’s age. As such, you may encounter explicit, inappropriate content or even online abuse from other users. How, then, can you report the users?
How to report someone on Omegle for iPhone
Currently, there is no guaranteed and assured way of reporting someone on Omegle. The good thing is that Omegle’s community guidelines provide a contact email address you can use to raise safety concerns.
The guidelines also state that Omegle is not responsible to its users for enforcing the community’s guidelines. You are also unable to block other users but end the chat by pressing the Stop button or closing your browser’s tab. However, it is worth noting that Omegle can ban an account that infringes its policies.
If you have the Omegle app on your iPhone or iPad, you can easily report a user through these steps:
- Launch the Omegle app on your iOS device. It has a blue omega icon with a white background.
- Tap on the Message icon with a blue text bubble on the upper right corner of the home screen. It will display your chats on the screen in chronological order.
- Select the chat or name of the person that you wish to report.
- Tap on the three-dotted icon on the upper right corner of the chat screen.
- Tap on the reason why you wish to block the person. Some reasons include explicit messages, explicit messages, images or spam, or even fake profiles. You can also block the user by tapping on the Block option.
- Once you’ve done the above step, Omegle will notify you that the report has been successfully sent.
- Tap on the continue button. You can repeat the process if you wish to report other users in your chat history. The above steps can also report a user on an Android phone.
Can Omegle’s conversations be traced?
Upon starting a conversation at Omegle, they will collect the chat history metadata such as phone number records and IP address information. Their database also saves chatlogs from users and webcam moderation snapshots captured at the beginning of the video chat.
Any chat conversation that you have on Omegle is saved on Omegle servers. Therefore, someone can find a way to access message information via the Omegle servers and potentially track you using things you say.
Therefore, you should remember that any information you type into Omegle is potentially traceable. Whatever can be done with that information only depends on the extent of what you put on the Omegle site or app.
Does Omegle keep records of videos?
When you log in to the Omegle website, you will be notified that the video is being monitored above the start chatting button. This means that you should behave while video chatting with strangers.
Omegle users chat with each other using messages or video calls. The chat records stored in Omegle’s database include timestamps, ID cookies, IP addresses, and other similar information between the users. Webcam images are also stored on Omegle’s servers and database.
The bottom line
Omegle is a popular video and text messaging website and app that connects you with random users worldwide. The only problem with using this platform is that it does not verify the user’s age and can expose one to explicit and inappropriate content on the internet.
Users cannot block or report each other on the website or PC platform. However, you can report or block them on your iPhone or Android app. It is also best that you remember that they store records of the chat messages and videos on the Omegle servers.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex