When using WhatsApp, it is important to know that the messaging app doesn’t store all chat histories on its servers and cannot retrieve deleted messages. Many iPhone users opt to use iCloud to store messages that contain important information to avoid losing them completely on WhatsApp. Now what if you stored your WhatsApp messages on iCloud but you can’t retrieve them? Well, read on to learn how to restore WhatsApp chats and messages from your iCloud backup.
Your WhatsApp message restore from iCloud could be stuck for many reasons with the most common being to determine where it is stored. If you have tried to restore WhatsApp from iCloud and it’s not working, read on since this article has a solution for you. But first, a guide on how to backup WhatsApp chats on iCloud properly.
How to backup WhatsApp to iCloud
- Open WhatsApp settings and go to chats
- Then go to chat backup and click on backup now and you are done.
You can enable automatic backup which allows your device to keep scheduled backups. For this, select auto backup and then choose your backup frequency. This should backup all your chats and media on your iCloud but you can also decide to choose to include or exclude videos from the backup. Depending on your Internet connection and backup size, the backup process might take a while.
Restore WhatsApp Messages from iCloud to iPhone
This can be done from iCloud backup with the built-in function from WhatsApp and by following the steps below:
- Confirm that you have a backup on iCloud
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings
- Select chats then chat settings to check if there is an iCloud backup for your WhatsApp chat history
- Once you have confirmed that a WhatsApp backup is available, uninstall WhatsApp from your iPhone then reinstall it.
- After reinstalling, verify your phone number and follow the on-screen instructions. You will be asked if you have a backup to restore previous chats.
Restore WhatsApp messages to iPhone without using iCloud
You can backup and restore WhatsApp chat history without using iCloud. Instead you can use iTunes for this process. Follow the steps below to restore WhatsApp messages to your iPhone through iTunes:
- On your PC launch iTunes
- Connect your phone to the PC and wait for it to be recognized
- Open File then Devices and then Restore from backup
- From the list choose your WhatsApp backup
- Click the restore button and wait for the process to be completed
- After your device has been restored to the previous state it will reboot and sync with your computer.
The above steps are easy to follow when it comes to restore WhatsApp chat history on iPhone.
You need a good internet connection to backup your data on iCloud, especially if it contains huge multimedia files. A WIFI connection would be better and more convenient compared to your data plan in this case. A quick pointer is that you can limit your iCloud to only back up while on Wi-Fi. To do this, go to Settings > iCloud > Documents and Data and turn off Cellular Data for iOS 7. When using iOS 8 or later, go to iPhone settings, choose iCloud, then iCloud drive and turn off the cellular data.
I hope you’ve found this guide helpful not just at restoring your WhatsApp messages from backup, but also when backing up WhatsApp messages to iCloud or your computer. You can also check out our other tutorials for WhatsApp.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex