You are using an app on your iPhone when suddenly it starts producing a weird sound. It sounds much more like a smoke detector or a fire alarm and its loud. It’s unbelievable that it comes from your iPhone but the truth is that it does.
So how do you resolve this issue? In this post, I will explain what causes this sound and what to do when it occurs on your iOS device.
Why does your iPhone produce fire alarm-like sounds?
This issue occurs when the app you are using wants to display an ad. It then starts the music player instead of playing the ad directly from the app. This causes a continuous beeping sound.
Read Also: Best music apps for offline use on iOS
How to solve this problem?
There are a couple of ways to solve this issue. If you are experiencing this problem, use the steps outlined below until the sound stops.
Close open apps
It is difficult to tell which app is causing the beep. However, by closing all the apps, the sound will stop. Follow the steps below to close open apps on your iPhone.
- For iPhone 4, 5, 6, SE, 7, and 8, press the Home button twice. If you are using iPhone X, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause near the middle. Wait for the apps cards to open
- Swipe the screen left or right to view open apps
- Swipe up to close the apps. If you are using iPhone X, long press the app and tap the red minus sign.
If the sound doesn’t stop, use the following step.
Clear Safari Cache
If the problem started while you were using Safari, follow the steps below to clear the cache.
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down to Safari
- Tap Clear History and Website Data
- Tap Clear History and Data
Restart your iPhone or iPad
If the previous method failed to work, you need to restart your iPhone or iPad. You can do it by following the steps below:
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and the Volume Down button simultaneously
- Wait for at least 10 seconds for the screen to turn off
- Hold them again to turn your iPhone back on
Update to the latest version of iOS
Apple normally fixes bugs on iOS as soon as they are spotted. These new fixes are availed in form of iOS updates. Ensure to update your device to the latest version to get rid of the beeping sound when using apps. Follow the steps below to update your iOS version.
- Connect your device to a power source
- Connect to the internet via Wi-Fi
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Tap Download and Install
The beeping alarm sound should have stopped by now and all the apps are working fine. Let me know if this fix worked for you.
Read Also: Record audio from an iPhone to a Mac
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex