Screen mirroring is the ability to display content from your mobile device or PC/Mac to a compatible TV screen or projector.
It makes sharing project content during a presentation or viewing something from a device with friends and family at home easier.
This article will discuss screen mirroring from iPhone to Sony TV for free. Read on for more information.
Can you mirror iPhone to Sony TV?
First, it’s unfortunate that the sony screen mirroring feature doesn’t support Apple devices, specifically MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
So, how does one screen mirror the iPhone to Sony TV? It’s simple. You have to use alternative methods like:
- Wi-Fi Direct.
- Apple Airplay.
- Apple TV.
- Hard Wiring.
Let’s discuss each in detail.
How to screen mirror an iPhone to Sony TV using Wi-Fi Direct
To screen mirror your Sony TV using Wi-Fi Direct:
Step 1: Update your TV
Ensure your Sony TV has the latest software version to improve performance and get new features.
Step 2: Turn on Wi-Fi Direct on your TV
You should note that not all Sony TV models support Wi-Fi Direct. Check your TV manual settings to be sure.
- Enable the built-in Wi-Fi on your Android TV. First, open Settings. Then, if you have Android 9 or later, go to Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > turn it On. If your TV has Android 8 or earlier, go to Network > Advanced Settings > Built-in Wi-Fi > turn it On.
- Turn on the Wi-Fi Direct feature. Select the Home button > Settings > Network & Accessories > Network > Wi-Fi Direct > Set it On.
- Display your TV’s SSID (Service Set Identifier) and WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Assets) key. Launch Settings on your Sony TV > Network/Network & Internet > Wi-Fi Direct > Wi-Fi Direct Settings > Show Network (SSID)/Password. Note down the SSID and WPA key displayed on your screen.
Step 3: Establish a connection between your iPhone and TV
- Open Settings on your iPhone > tap on Wi-Fi > toggle On Wi-Fi.
- Select the SSID of your Sony TV from the list of active networks that pops up.
- Enter the WPA key (password) that you noted down and tap Join.
- Wait for the connection to establish successfully.
- Once it completes, you should see a checkmark beside the SSID on your iPhone.
- Your TV should display a dashed line and a message that says, “Wi-Fi Device is Connected.”
Step 4: Share media
To mirror your iPhone and share media, you’ll have to install an app called iMediaShare from the App Store. After setting it up, you can share any audio, video, or image from your internal storage.
Sadly, you can’t mirror any streaming content like Netflix.
How to screen mirror using AirPlay to Sony TV
If your Sony TV supports AirPlay, you can use it to mirror your iPhone’s display, including streaming content.
For it to work:
- Your TV must connect to the internet.
- You must update your TV software.
- You must turn on AirPlay on your TV. Press the Input Select button on your remote, then select AirPlay.
Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Connect the devices to the same network
Ensure your iPhone and Sony TV are connected to the same network.
Step 2: Select the media you want to mirror on the TV
- Photo: Display the photo on your iPhone screen and tap on Share
- Video: Start playing the video, then tap on AirPlay Video.
- Music: Start playing the audio on your device, then tap on AirPlay Audio.
- The entire screen: Open the control center on your iPhone and tap on Mirroring.
Step 3: Select AirPlay
- Choose AirPlay on your iPhone, followed by your Sony TV.
- Using an HDMI adapter, mirror the iPhone screen to a Sony TV
So, your Sony Bravia screen mirroring is not working after trying the tips mentioned above? It’s time to hardwire the connection. This simply means connecting your iPhone to the Sony TV using an HDMI adapter.
Follow the steps below:
- Get a lighting-to-HDMI adapter from Apple.
- Connect the HDMI end to your TV’s HDMI port.
- Connect the other end to your iPhone.
- Under the HDMI settings on your TV, change the input to the HDMI port you’ve connected to.
- Your iPhone’s screen should display on the Sony TV screen.
Ensure the lightning-to-HDMI adapter is compatible with your iPhone’s charging and Sony TV’s HDMI ports. Also, it should be long enough to access your iPhone safely and comfortably.
How to use Apple TV for iPhone and Sony Bravia Screen Mirroring
If your Sony TV has an Apple TV connected, you can use the AirPlay capabilities of the Apple TV to screen mirror. Then, ensure the Apple TV and your iPhone are connected to the same Wi-Fi connection and change the TV input to the Apple TV.
Next, swipe up from the home screen to open the control center. Select Screen Mirroring and choose TV connected to your Apple TV device.
Why can’t I screen mirror from my iPhone to my Sony TV?
If you encounter issues with the guides listed above, you might be dealing with system issues on your iPhone or Sony TV. Use the following troubleshooting solutions before you try to screen mirror the two devices again.
- Reboot: Restart your Sony TV and iPhone to refresh their systems and clear any errors that hinder the screen mirroring process.
- Check your internet: Confirm the devices are connected to the same network and that the internet is stable.
- Install available updates: Your iPhone and Sony TV should have the latest firmware if you want to avoid bugs and glitches.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex