WhatsApp messaging offers users a wide range of features to help them take control of their interactions on the app. One of those features is the block. You can use it to block stubborn and annoying contacts, fraudsters, bullies, and anyone you don’t want to interact with on the app.
So, what happens when you block a contact on WhatsApp? Can you read messages from blocked contacts? Can you see if a blocked number has tried to text you?
Let’s get the answers to these questions and more about blocked WhatsApp accounts.
What happens to blocked contacts on WhatsApp?
When you block someone, here are some of the things that will happen:
- You won’t receive any WhatsApp calls and messages from the contact. Any message they send won’t get through.
- You won’t see the person’s status updates, and they won’t see yours.
- The person won’t see when you were last seen online and the changes you make to your profile photo.
- The contact will remain in your contact list unless you delete it.
However, you’ll still see the blocked contact messages in the group chats that both of you belong to. The only way to avoid that is to leave the group chat.
Read: What does a blue message mean on Samsung?
Can you retrieve messages from a blocked number on WhatsApp?
Even though you can’t see WhatsApp texts from a blocked number, the pre-block messages on the chat remain intact, and you can see them at any time if you open the chat, unless you delete the chat.
To view all the previous messages with a blocked contact, you should first get the chat from the archives.
How to unarchive a WhatsApp chat on Android
- Open WhatsApp on your device.
- Select the Chat tab.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on Stored chat
- Look for your chat with the blocked contact.
- Tap and hold the chat with the blocked contact.
- Tap on the Box icon that pops up on the top-right.
- The chat will move from the archive to the WhatsApp chat tab.
- Tap on the conversation to open it and read previous messages.
Read: How to delete WhatsApp data on iPhone
How to unarchive a WhatsApp chat on iPhone
- Launch the WhatsApp app on iPhone.
- Tap on the Chat tab in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap on Archive at the top-center of the screen.
- Find the chat with the blocked contact.
- Swipe the chat from right to left and tap the Unarchive/Extract option that appears.
- Ideally, you should swipe the chat from right across to the left of the screen.
- Your blocked chat will move from the archive to the WhatsApp chat tab, where you can open and read all the messages.
Can I see messages from someone I blocked on WhatsApp after unblocking?
Unfortunately, you’ll never see any messages sent by the blocked contact during the period you’d blocked them.
There’s no way to recover messages from blocked numbers. If you’re up for it, the best you can do is ask them to resend the messages or tell you what the messages said.
Now that you know it’s impossible to see texts sent by a blocked number on WhatsApp, it’s advisable that you only block numbers you don’t want to message or receive a message from again.
There’re other less drastic options like Mute that you can use to avoid message notifications from an individual for a while.
Read: How to save WhatsApp chat history when switching your iPhone
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex