For a long time, Snapchat users stressed over how to unsend snaps or messages that are sent to the wrong person, filled with typos, or too embarrassing. That’s because Snapchat doesn’t offer the option to unsend a snap before it’s viewed.
However, there’s a delete feature that lets users delete sent snaps and messages. It is very easy to use this feature.
How to delete a snap on iPhone/iPad
- Launch Snapchat on your device.
- Go to the chat with the message that you want to delete.
- Scroll through the conversation until you locate the message.
- Tap and hold the message until you see a pop-up menu with several options.
- Select “Delete” at the bottom.
- You’ll see a prompt asking you to confirm your decision. So, tap on “Delete” again.
- The same procedure works for group conversations.
How to delete a snap on Android
- Open the Snapchat app on your device.
- Find the chat/group chat with the sent message that you wish to unsend.
- Search the conversation for the message.
- Tap and hold the message with your finger.
- When the pop-up menu appears, tap on “Delete”.
- Tap on “Delete” again to confirm your decision.
What happens when you delete a snap?
First, when you send a snap to any of your contacts on Snapchat, it will read “delivered” if the recipient hasn’t viewed it yet. But, once viewed, it will read “opened”. The aim is to delete the snap before the recipient sees it.
Initially, people used the following tips to unsend a snap:
- Blocking the user
- Deactivating or deleting the account
- Logging out of the account to unsend a snap.
- Unfriending the recipient.
- Deleting the app from your device.
Unfortunately, new updates put an end to all those workarounds. Now you can only delete the snap as outlined above.
After erasing the snap, Snapchat sends a notification to the recipient informing them about your actions. Therefore, it’s likely they’ll ask you about it.
NOTE: Deleting the snap message could also fail if the recipient has a bad internet connection, uses an older version of Snapchat, and has switched their phone to airplane mode. Also, you can’t delete pictures, videos, or screenshots that you just took with your phone.
Can you delete a snap you sent to someone before they see it?
Yes, you can delete or unsend messages and snaps on Snapchat before the recipient opens them. However, you must act fast and hope their phone is not in airplane mode and their internet is reliable.
That’s all we have for you on how to delete a snap video you sent on Snapchat. Until the developers add the unsend feature, it’s your best bet for preventing a snap message from being viewed by the wrong people.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex