You need to check the timestamps to see when a message was sent or received on your iPhone. Unfortunately, Apple keeps that information hidden.
So, you must know where and how to reveal the data. Keep reading as we take you through our step-by-step guide to check timestamps on iPhone messages.
How to see sent or received timestamp on an iPhone text
- Launch the messaging app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the chat you want to check.
- A date stamp separates texts from different days.
- If you scroll to the begging of the thread, you’ll see when you started messaging the contact.
- To see the timestamps, tap and drag the message screen to the left.
- The time a message was received or sent will display on the left edge.
- If you lift your finger from the screen, the timestamps will hide again.
How to see a message timestamp on Mac
- Open Messages on your Mac.
- Click the message thread that you want to view timestamps.
- Place the mouse pointer over the specific message that you’re curious about.
- The message’s timestamp will appear.
- Also, you can right-click the message and select “Show times.”
- Lastly, you can swipe right and hold on to your trackpad to reveal timestamps.
Can you remove timestamp from an iPhone text message
The timestamp is permanent on iPhone text message UI. You can’t remove it. However, you can alter it if you adjust your iPhone’s date and time settings.
How to turn off timestamp on iPhone messages
Since message timestamps are a permanent feature on iPhone, it’s impossible to turn them off.
Rather than stress yourself trying to disable it, check out other message settings you can control below.
How to turn off read receipts
First, Reading receipts is just a way of letting people know you got their message and the exact time you read it. But what if you don’t want them to know?
Well, you turn it off. Here is how to do it:
- Disable read receipts for everyone: Go to Settings > Messages > toggle Off Read receipts.
- How to disable read receipts for specific contacts: Go to Messages and tap the message thread of the person you want to disable read receipts. Next, tap on their profile at the top and select the info icon. Lastly, toggle off read receipts.
How to enable or disable previews
Launch settings > Notifications > Messages > Show Previews > select between Always, When unlocked, and Never.
How to pin messages at the top
First, you must have iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 or later versions to use this feature. Next Open messages > swipe the message thread you want to pin from left to right > tap on the yellow pin button.
The message thread will appear in a circle at the top. This makes it easy to access the message thread. You can pin a maximum of nine conversations.
To unpin a message thread, tap and hold that person’s thread and select unpin.
How to send a group message on iMessage
Open the Message app > tap on the square with a pencil icon on the top-right corner > type the contact’s name and select it when it appears > type another contact and select it > repeat until you’ve added all the contacts you want on that group message. The maximum number of people you can add is 32, including yourself.
How to dictate a message in iMessage
Open your message app > tap on a message thread or start a new message > tap on the microphone icon in the bottom-right corner under the keyboard > start talking and the words will appear on the text area. Mention the punctuations, and they will be included in the text. Stop speaking when you’re done.
The dictation usually underlines transcribed words it’s unsure of with a blue line. You can check the text for accuracy and make the necessary changes before sending it.
That’s it for how to see the timestamp on an iPhone text. Hopefully, it helped you figure out the sent or received time for the message you were curious about.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex