If you’ve encountered the “visual voicemail is not available” error while trying to check voicemails on your iPhone, then you know how frustrating it can be.
Fortunately, there are several DIY ways to fix the problem and we’re going to discuss each one of them below.
Switch ON mobile data
The visual voicemail needs a cellular connection for it to function. So, make sure your mobile data is turned ON by following these steps:
- Open “Settings”.
- Click on “Cellular”.
- Toggle the button next to “Cellular Data” to the right to activate the cellular connection.
- Scroll down and toggle ON the buttons for “Settings” and “Phone” too.
- Go back to visual voicemail to see if it’s working.
Enable airplane mode then disable it
If your airplane mode is On, toggle it Off. If it’s Off, enable it then disable it. This will turn ON the cellular modem and force it to reconnect to a cell tower—with a stronger signal that allows you to view your visual voicemail.
To toggle airplane mode ON and OFF, go to “Settings”, locate “Airplane Mode” and toggle the switch ON. Wait for about 20 seconds then toggle it OFF.
Read Also: iPhone voicemail says full after deleting
Reset network settings
Since one of the main reasons iPhone voicemail is unavailable is the cellular network connection interruption, resetting the network settings could solve the connection issue, and in turn fix visual voicemail.
The steps to follow are:
- Open “Settings” then go to “General Settings”.
- Scroll down to “Reset” and click “Reset Network Settings”.
You could reboot the iPhone after the reset is complete then give it one or two minutes to re-join the network, before checking if the visual voicemail issue has been resolved.
NOTE: This will restore the network settings to default. So, you should write down the saved Wi-Fi router passwords and VPN credentials before you start the network reset.
Restart your iPhone
Sometimes the solution is as simple as restarting your device. A reboot could help to get rid of corrupted memory, or even fix software glitches. Thereby solving the “visual voicemail unavailable on iPhone” error.
To restart your iPhone:
- Press and hold the power button.
- When the “Slide to Power Off” button appears, toggle it to the right.
- You could also go to “Settings”, followed by “General”, and look for “Shutdown”.
- Wait for a few seconds.
- Press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo on your screen (Connecting it to a charger will also power it ON).
- Give the iPhone time to power up before you check the visual voicemail again.
Check and update carrier settings
A failure by your carrier to update their network configuration on time could be the cause of the “iPhone visual voicemail is unavailable” error. You should try and update the configuration settings through the following steps:
- Launch “Settings”.
- Click “General” then go to “About”.
- Look for “Cellular” or “Carrier” and select it.
- The device will look for the updates and install them automatically.
In case you encounter a settings error, follow the guide below to reset your device’s settings:
- Going to “Settings”, followed by “General”, then “Reset”.
- Press “Reset All Settings”.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your passcode, Face ID, or Touch ID to confirm the reset.
- Give it time to reset your device settings to default.
- Later, you can confirm if your visual voicemail works.
Update your iPhone OS
Make sure your device has the latest iOS update. Follow these steps to check for software updates:
- Open “Settings”, go to “General”, followed by “Software Update”.
- Your phone will check for any updates and direct you on how to download and install them.
Change the voicemail password
Try and reset your voicemail password to see if it resolves the visual voicemail on the iPhone problem. Here is how to go about it:
- Open “Settings” on your phone.
- Select “Phone”.
- Scroll down to “Change Voicemail Password”.
- Enter your new password then press “Done”.
- Re-enter the new password and press “Done” again.
Contact the carrier support team
If nothing seems to work, get in touch with your carrier support. After all the visual voicemail is a carrier feature. The issue could be something that they’re the only ones who can fix it. Let them guide you accordingly.
Call and listen to the voicemail the old-fashioned way
Ideally, you could click on the “Call Voicemail” option below the error message and listen to your messages.
Hopefully, one of these solutions helps you to fix the visual voicemail error on your iPhone. Take your time to try them out and be sure to leave us with feedback on your experience.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex