When you click the “Add to Home Screen” feature on a Chrome browser, and there is no response, it could be due to the following reasons:
- Cache build-up
- Restricted app permissions
- Bugs in the Chrome app
Here, we’ll give a few solutions that have worked for us and according to our research. Make sure to check them out and follow the steps to the latter.
The Chrome ‘Add to Home Screen’ feature is missing
When the ‘Add to Home Screen’ feature is missing, use these solutions:
1. Restart your phone
Restarting your phone is the best way to get your apps to run normally. In most cases, it solves the problem.
Follow these steps to restart your phone:
- Press and hold the power button until the power options appear on the screen.
- Tap on Restart.
- Wait for the device to turn off, and it will turn on when the Android logo appears on the menu.
Note that the process may differ depending on your phone.
Read Next: The best video downloaders for Pinterest
2. Clear cache data
Chrome collects many cookies and cache data from the websites you visit. Accumulation of this data may cause several features of the app to malfunction. One of them is the “Add to Home Screen’ feature.
The only thing you need to do in this case is to clear all the cached data. You can clear the cache on Chrome using the following steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Apps.
- Scroll down through the menu of listed apps and select Chrome.
- Tap on Storage.
- Tap on the Clear Cache button to delete its cache data.
3. Check app permission
Another reason your ‘Add to Home Screen’ is missing on the iPad is that it has not been granted permission. Follow these steps to check the app’s permission on Android:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Apps and Notifications.
- Scroll through the app list and select Chrome.
- Tap on Permissions and then Storage. If the permission is set to Deny, change it to Allow.
4. Manually “Add to Home Screen”
If the “Add to Home Screen” feature does not automatically add the website shortcut, you can do it manually. Follow these methods for your iPhone:
- Launch Chrome on your phone.
- Visit your website where you want to create a shortcut on the Homepage.
- Tap on the three dots on the top right corner of the screen and Add to Home Screen.
- Type in the shortcut’s name or leave it as it is on the display box. Next, tap the Add button.
The shortcut name and an Add icon button will appear on the screen. You should tap and hold the icon and drag and drop it wherever you want.
5. Uninstall and reinstall the app
Another step that worked in most cases was to install and then uninstall Chrome. We’ve saved it for last.
Follow these steps:
- Go to Google Play Store.
- Search for Chrome on the search box.
- Tap on Chrome in the list of displayed searches.
- Tap on Uninstall to uninstall the app, and tap on Install to install it on your device.
Once installed, you can launch the Chrome app and see whether the Add to Home Screen feature is available.
The final words
Many people use Chrome to surf the internet and search for specific things. It is easier to save your favorite or most visited site on your phone’s home screen for easy access.
It can, however, be impossible because the Add to Home Screen feature is missing or does not work.
It is a common problem when your Add to Home Screen is missing or does not appear on your web browser. You can try all the troubleshooting tips above that guarantee return on your Chrome browser.
Stephanie is a tech writer with over 3 years of experience covering How To’s, Troubleshooting, and many other topics related to iOS, Windows, and Android. When she isn’t writing, Stephanie is either walking her dog or traveling.