Are you a Clubhouse user? There is finally good news since you can slide into other people’s DM, just as you would any other social media app. Clubhouse is a social audio app available on iOS and Android devices.
Clubhouse uses the new Backchannel feature to send and receive direct messages (DM). You can send text and emojis, but not an image, video, or GIF via DM. Therefore, to DM someone on the Clubhouse app, you’ll use the Backchannel feature.
What is Clubhouse Backchannel?
Backchannel is a new feature developed by Clubhouse as a new direct messaging system. This feature allows Clubhouse users to chat and share links among themselves or in a group chat.
Where to find Backchannel?
The Backchannel feature is usually located on the main tab. It holds messages from those you follow on the app. Messages from people you don’t follow will go to a separate inbox (Request inbox). The Backchannel feature is available for both Android and iOS devices.
By default, people can share messages without following each other. You can turn these settings off and only receive messages from people you follow.
To use Backchannel on Clubhouse:
- Tap on the paper airplane icon found at the bottom right corner of Clubhouse’s home screen and inside of rooms.
- There you will see all your messages.
- You can create a new private or group chat by tapping on the new chat option with a pen and paper icon in the upper right corner of the messaging screen.
Can you message people on Clubhouse?
Yes, you can message people through the Backchannel feature. Follow these steps to DM people on Clubhouse:
- Tap on the paper airplane icon found at the bottom right corner of the Clubhouse’s home screen.
- Tap on the new chat option with a pen and paper icon in the upper right corner of the app.
- Search for the person you want to chat with in the search box to create a new private or group chat. In addition, you can search for people who you follow or don’t follow.
- Alternatively, you can send a direct message by tapping the paper airplane icon on the user’s profile. It is only visible if the user you are messaging follows you or has the messaging settings turned on to everyone.
- Tap Done to send a message once you’ve typed it.
How to view your message requests inbox
If you wish to see the messages from people who you don’t follow, here are the simple steps on how to find and view them:
- Launch the Backchannel feature.
- Go to Requests at the bottom of the home screen.
- Once you’ve done this, tap on any new message you want to view, or you can view the messages without opening them.