Tumblr, just like most social platforms, doesn’t allow you to download files directly to your iPhone. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t download videos, pics, or gifs from Tumblr. In this guide, we will show you different methods you can use to save any media from the platform.
Before using these methods, it is important to know that they involve installing third-party apps to your device. In addition, you should familiarize with Tumblr’s terms and conditions with regards to downloading and using material that is posted on the platform.
Having got that out of the way, the following are ways of downloading Tumblr videos to your iPhone.
Method #1: iPhone Screen Recorder
If you don’t wish to install a third-party app to download Tumblr videos to your iPhone, then why not use the iPhone screen recording feature? This new feature allows you to record your iPhone screen and save your recordings to your Camera Roll. Follow these steps to use this feature:
- Open Tumblr and select the video or gif of choice
- On iOS 11 or later, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap the record button
- Wait for the 3-second countdown to start and tap the video to begin playing
You can access your recordings in your camera roll. Additionally, you can use the native iPhone editor to edit your recording.
If this process sounds tedious, consider using any of the following apps.
Method #2: Total files
Total files is an application in the App Store that allows you to download and save files from Tumblr and other platforms. Follow these steps to download videos and gifs:
- Open Tumblr and copy the URL of the video you wish to download
- Launch Total files
- Paste the URL of the Tumblr video on the popup that appears then tap the tick that appears
- Wait for a few seconds for the download to complete
Get it Total Files on iTunes
Method #3: Mymedia app
Mymedia app is a free file manager that allows you to manage multimedia files on your iPhone. The app can also download videos from Tumblr. Follow these steps:
- Open Tumblr, select a video you wish to download and copy its URL
- Open MyMedia and enter the URL of the video in the address bar
- Tap Get Video and then Download
- Select Save to Camera Roll among the options that appear
Method #4: Tyblr
Tyblr, just like the apps above, allows you to download videos from Tumblr to your camera roll. To download a video using Tyblr, follow these steps:
- Open Tyblr
- Login with your Tumblr account. You can create a new account is you don’t wish to use your main account.
- Find the video you wish to download and tap the save button that’s located at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on it and wait for the download to begin.
The downloaded video will be saved directly to your camera roll.
Method #5: Dwnldr
If you have jailbroken your iPhone, you can download Tumblr videos using Dwnldr. Follow these steps:
- Open Cydia
- Open BigBoss and search for Dwnldr
- Pay for the tweak and tap the download button
- Tap install and then Restart Springboard
Tumblr mostly contains original videos from users, and you might not be allowed to share them on social media or reuse them due to copyright issues. These apps will come in handy in downloading videos, images, and gifs, but make sure to use them responsibly.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex