Facebook started in 2004 as Facemash, an online service for Harvard University students, where they could post pictures, class schedules, and the college clubs they were part of. Over time, the social media app started bringing on board other colleges and became a platform for more social interactions through posts, private chats, or videos.
In 2005, Facemash became Facebook, and 2015 saw the launch of a section called ‘On this day,’ now Memories which was and still is a place to view on this day memories on Facebook.
This feature helps one view memories that may include, friends made on a specific day and celebrates ‘friendversaries’, seasonal/monthly recaps in the form of short films or texts, past status updates, photos, and posts from friends and personal accounts.
It can be very unsettling if, for one reason or the other, your Facebook memories are blank. Not to worry, we have a few suggestions that could be of help;
1. Log out, restart the device and log in
You could think of this as ‘jumpstarting’ your device. Log off your Facebook account, ensure you clear cache and browser history.
Restart your device and log in. check your Facebook Memory section to confirm that it has reset.
2. Attempt log in from another device/OS
Try accessing your account from a Personal Computer, Laptop, or a different phone.
You can also consider using gadgets with a different OS or browser.
Read Also: How to see who visited your Facebook profile
3. Disable extensions and third-party apps
Browser extensions are internet navigators that let you control how websites load and behave. To disable or log off your browser extensions;
- Go to the Chrome browser
- On the top right corner, click on the extension’s icon.
- Click on the SuiteFiles icon on the top of the browser
- Select the logout option.
Third-party apps have access permissions to access data stored on your Facebook profile. To deactivate them:
- On the Facebook app’s upper right corner, tap on the three horizontal lines.
- Tap on Settings
- Scroll down to Permissions
- Tap on Apps and Websites
- View Apps you’ve logged in to via Facebook
- Click on the App and select the preferred option. It could be Remove, Renew, or Privacy.
You have tried the suggestions provided above, but still, Memories is not working on Facebook. If this happens, you could try the steps below.
4. Uninstalling and reinstalling Facebook
You can opt to uninstall the application, and reinstall it from Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
If you are installing for a different source, make sure to choose the latest version of the application.
5. Clear Cache
Facebook has numerous files stored in the device including, login information, username, photos, etc. These files enable your app to display and boot fast. The data and files have to be frequently cleaned.
Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings
- Open Apps
- Go to Facebook
- Click Storage Options
- Clear Data and Cache
6. Check that the server is working.
Facebook and all its computing facilities might go dark for hours due to downtime or during a routine maintenance exercise.
In such a case it would be best to wait until the company sorts the issue.
7. Ensure memories are turned on
Memories are precious. It is even better when we can store them, in a place where we can access them at will. It is however distressing if we are unable to, or those we can access are unpleasant. We have tackled the different ways we can access Memories on our Facebook when, the feature is not working, but what should we do when we want to choose what gets displayed? Well, Facebook gives you the option of customizing your news feed.
Here is how to go about it on PC;
- On the Timeline page, type ‘Memories’ on the search bar.
- Click on the Memories Icon.
- On the left side of your PC find the Memories home.
- You can click on the notifications and select all memories, highlights, or none.
- Below this, you can find the hide people or Hide dates option
- Customize to your preference.
- On the upper right-hand corner, tap on the three lines.
- Scroll down to Memories.
- Tap on the cog icon at the top right corner
- On the hide memories option select people or dates.
- Tick the correct names, or save the desired dates and exit.
Melvin is a senior writer at iMentality. A DIYer at heart, Melvin loves to craft things in the tech space. He has amassed over a decade of experience in tech writing with special focus on apps and tech guides.