When Google Voice is so slow to respond, reads messages slowly, or takes time to do simple actions such as placing a call or sending a text, there are a few reasons behind it.
From our research, the problem is usually device-specific. There haven’t been many complaints about a complete outage of Google Voice.
In this article, we’ll cover all the reasons and troubleshooting solutions.
Troubleshooting steps to fix the Google Voice speech
Use any of these steps to fix Google Voice when it is slow.
1. Poor internet connection
In several cases, we identified that a poor internet connection was responsible for Google Voice not working. Remember that Google Voice requires stable internet.
The first problem behind your Google Voice not working is that your phone is not connected to a stable internet connection. Google Voice works purely on an internet connection to retrieve and display data to the user.
Ensure that your phone is connected to a good internet connection, such as Wi-Fi. If the Wi-Fi is unstable, you can switch to cellular data and use it for your search.
2. Clear cache and cookies
When you visit different web pages and sites, cookies from these websites are collected and gathered on the web browser.
Cache and cookies slow down web searching as well as Google Voice. If this is the case, below are steps on how to clear cookies and cache on your web browser:
- Open your browser on your PC or smartphone.
- Tap on the three-dotted icon and select clear browsing history.
- Select the checkboxes next to the caches and cookies options to clear them off.
- Next, select the Clear Data button.
3. Software bugs and glitches
In some cases, Google Voice may be experiencing software bugs and glitches that prevent it from working normally.
Unfortunately, this is entirely Google’s fault and not yours. Therefore, there is nothing you can do about it. Check Google’s Forum to determine if there is an ongoing issue with Google Voice.
If no one else is complaining, share your experience with the support team or on the forum and let them assist you.
4. Update your operating system
Alternatively, you can check whether your phone’s operating system is updated to the latest version. An outdated operating system may cause Google Voice to lag and perform slowly.
Below are steps on how to check your OS version on an Android phone:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down the menu and tap on System Updates.
- If there is a system update, tap on the download button and wait for it to download and install on your phone.
For an iOS device, below are steps on how to go about it:
- Open the settings app and select General.
- Next, select Software Update.
- Select Automatic Updates and enable the Download iOS Updates option.
- Turn on the toggle next to Install iOS updates, and an automatic OS download will start.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex