You may want to invert the FaceTime camera to show the caller something on FaceTime calls. In other cases, you may have accidentally inverted the camera on FaceTime. FaceTime video calls are always set on the front camera by default.
When on the front camera, it may not be easy to rotate your phone around. The simple answer is to switch between the front and rear camera, but you will realize the switch camera button disappears when you have received a video call.
So, how do you flip the FaceTime camera on an iPhone or iPad?
How to flip or invert an iPhone camera on FaceTime
It may seem easy, but some people do not know how to flip the FaceTime camera on an iPad or iPhone. When you flip to the back camera, you will get to film what is at the back on your FaceTime screen. It is also useful so you can easily switch back and forth between the front and rear camera on FaceTime.
1. Using the menu bar
Follow these steps to flip a camera on iPhone using the menu bar:
- During a FaceTime video call, tap on the screen. A menu bar with icons will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the flip icon at the menu bar.
- It automatically inverts the camera to the other camera, and you can use the screen as a viewfinder.
- If you want to return to the front camera, tap on the flip icon again.
2. Using the picture-in-picture screen
Another way to flip the FaceTime camera on an iPad is by flipping it from the picture-in-picture screen while on a video call. To accomplish this:
- Tap on the iPad or iPhone’s main or home screen.
- Find the screen that you can see yourself on the phone.
- The screen is called picture-in-picture and is visible to the other video caller in magnified form.
- You will see a small camera with a flip icon on the small camera.
- Tap on the flip icon to invert the camera. If you want to return to the front camera, tap the flip icon again.
3. Using the Automatic Prominence feature
Alternatively, there is a feature called Automatic Prominence in FaceTime video calls. This feature zooms your FaceTime caller’s tile and helps you know who you are talking with. Here is you can use the Automatic Prominence feature to invert your camera:
- When you have received the video call, tap on the tile.
- Next, tap on the flip icon to switch to the rear camera.
- If you want to switch to the front camera, tap on the flip icon again.
How to turn off an inverted camera on FaceTime
- Tap on the three dots on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- A menu bar will appear on the FaceTime screen.
- Click on the video icon on the menu bar to turn off the inverted camera.
- If you want to turn it on, tap on the video icon again.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex