It’s a bummer when you are activating iMessage and error pops up indicating: an error occurred during authentication. Please try again later. However, you are not alone. Many users have reported this problem to occur on the mac and iOS devices.
The good news is that this error can be solved. So, how do you go about it?
Steps to solve iMessage error
There are several methods to clear iMessage error and in this guide, we will be showing you how to solve the problem.
Check iMessage date and time settings
Having the wrong time and date could hinder iMessage from working correctly. Follow these steps to adjust the time and date on your device before you retry using iMessage.
- Go to settings
- Select general
- Select date and time
- Set the correct time zone
Switching off and restarting your iMessage might solve the iMessage authentication error. This might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage. Follow these steps to restart your device.
- Go to settings then messages
- Turn off iMessage
- Go back to settings
- Restart your iOS device
- Switch on both iMessage.
Update your iOS version
If the activation has taken more than 24-hours, update your device to the latest iOS version.
Check this too: How to enable shortcode texting on iPhone
If during this period, your phone indicates that there is a new update, click on it to install immediately. Follow these steps to check and install an update.
- Connect your iPhone to power
- Connect to Wi-Fi
- Navigate to settings then general
- Click on software update
- If the new version is available, click on install now
- Your phone will verify the update and install the new version.
Delete restrictions setting for iMessage
If the iMessage authentication error is still visible, try to remove restrictions on iMessage app. Follow these steps to remove restrictions
- Go to settings then general
- Choose restrictions then go to iMessage
Sign out then back your iMessage
Signing out then signing back to iMessage solved the issue for some readers. You could give it a try by following these steps:
- Go to settings
- Click on general then messages
- Turn off iMessage
- Wait for a few minutes then switch it back on.
- Your iPhone will notify you that you need to sign on with your Apple ID
- After few seconds, you will have resigned in your iMessage
Attempt airplane mode
You can fix iMessage error on iPhone with airplane mode by following these steps.
- Navigate to settings ten select messages
- First, turn off iMessage
- Switch your iPhone to airplane mode. The Wi-Fi will disconnect itself automatically
- Next, turn the Wi-Fi on manually
- Turn on iMessage
- If not before, now you will upgrade to an iPhone ID
- Go back to settings and switch off airplane mode.
- You will get induce and click OK. Depending on your phone carrier, charges might apply.
- If there is no clue at all, go back and switch off iMessage and switch on again.
Get help from your phone carrier
Sometimes the activation issue could have occurred because of an issue with your carrier. To find out if this is the problem, you can check your carriers social accounts or website for any indication of an outage. You can also try using another iPhone that is under the same carrier to ensure that this isn’t the cause of the problem.
How can i activate authentication on mac?
If you are on a mac device, the procedure is less similar to that of iPhone. If you can’t sign in to your iMessage account, try these solutions.
- Check your internet connection. Ensure your mac is connected to the internet. Still, you can receive emails and load web pages.
- Check if there is a system outage.
- Check date and time settings.
- You should run on the latest software
- Confirm your Apple ID
- Reset NVRAM in case the problem is related to settings stored in NVRAM
check for the third-party software. If you have installed AdBlock, VPN, security, firewall or any other third-party software, make sure it’s not blocking iMessage platform. If possible, disable them and try using iMessage.
That’s it! If you have been struggling with “error occurred during authentication” message, these are the options. Different users have had success with different methods, hopefully these solutions will work out for you.