iCloud’s primary purpose is to back up data and information online. Not only will you save storage on your device, but you will also be able to access your data from a different device. So, if you are seeing a ‘Not enough iCloud storage’ error message on your iPhone, something is wrong with your iCloud since invisible data may have consumed it.
It poses a problem when you have 5GB of free space on your iCloud, but it says 3GB is already used. However, this is not a problem that you can’t fix.
So, why does your iPhone say there is not enough storage, but there is, and how you can fix it?
Why does my new iPhone say it doesn’t have enough storage?
When you backup data to your iCloud, you may see an error message saying ‘Not enough iCloud Storage.’ It means there is a lack of storage space on your iCloud account, even though you are sure there is. Many iPhone users have complained about this problem, which frequently occurs on their Apple devices.
Among the reasons why your iCloud says it is full when it isn’t is because of background storage usage. They are unseen files and apps stored in your iPhone’s memory and hiding in the background.
Another reason is the way Apple deals with stored data and its storage reports of data stored in your iCloud. For example, it may include the photos and videos on iCloud Photo Library or iMessage messages.
How to fix iCloud storage
When your iPhone data cannot be backed up because there is not enough storage, there is a way you can fix it. Follow these troubleshooting tips:
1. Free up space on an iPhone
Whenever there is a storage problem on iCloud, the first thing to do is to delete some old iCloud backups on your device. Here is how you can do it:
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Storage and iCloud Usage.
- Tap on Manage Storage.
- You will see the Apple device that you currently or previously owned. Tap on the device you want to delete its backup and select Delete Backup.
2. Disable iCloud Photo Library
The iCloud Photo Library may fill up your iCloud storage with unnecessary or deleted photos and videos. You should therefore turn it off using the following steps:
- Tap on Settings.
- Go to your profile and tap on iCloud.
- Find the Photos option and turn off the iCloud Photos to disable it.
Next, choose the data that you want to back up.
It is possible to backup important and selected data on your iCloud. This way, you can save up on iCloud storage space, especially when there is insufficient storage after deleting everything.
To set up your iPhone to back up important data:
- Tap on the Settings app.
- Tap on your profile and then on the iCloud option.
- Tap on the Manage Storage option.
- Select the backup file on the menu screen.
- Finally, disable the apps and data you do not want to be backed up on your iCloud.