Your iPhone has fallen down on a hard surface, maybe on the floor or even the ground. When you pick it up, you realize that the iPhone screen is glitching and it is not working.
In another case, it has been exposed to water and the screen is freezing or delaying when using it, even after wiping it. This can be very frustrating for an iPhone user.
Not to worry, many iPhone users like you experience this problem and luckily enough, it is fixable. If you are experiencing this condition, this article will give you steps on how to fix a glitching iPhone screen.
Troubleshooting tips for a glitching iPhone screen
There are a few ways of repairing a glitching screen and it depends on the version of the iPhone that you are using. In case the screen of your iPhone is blinking on and off, you can use these different alternatives listed below to repair it:
- Hard resetting your iPhone
- Switch off Auto-Brightness.
- Close the phone application.
- Uninstall the iPhone application.
- Mechanical screen repair.
1. Hard resetting your iPhone
This is the easiest and most convenient way of repairing your glitching iPhone screen. Hard resetting means that you forcefully switch off your phone and then switch it on abruptly. It is mostly done because there may be crashed software that is causing the glitching.
Here are the steps that you should consider when you are hard resetting different iPhones:
For iPhone 8 and its successors
These are tips that are used to hard set an iPhone 8 and its newer models such as iPhone 11 and iPhone 12:
- Press the volume up button and then release it.
- Press the volume down button and then release it.
- Hold the right-side button of your iPhone until it switches off and the Apple logo appears on your screen.
Read Also: Why is my iPhone not notifying me when I receive a text?
For iPhone 7 and 7 plus
Repairing a screen glitch on these types of phones is very easy. The only thing you have to do is to press and hold the volume down button and power button concurrently until the phone switches off and the Apple logo appears on the screen.
For iPhone SE, iPhone 6 and their predecessors
These are the earliest types of iPhones. For you to fix these types of phones, you need to simultaneously press and hold the power button and home button until the phone switches off and the Apple logo appears on the screen.
2. Switch off auto-brightness
You may have heard people saying that the glitching problem on their screen got fixed when they turned off the Auto-Brightness.
Here are some steps used to switch off Auto-Brightness:
- Open the Settings icon.
- Tap on Accessibility on the Settings menu.
- Tap on Display & Text Size on the menu.
- On the Auto-Brightness column, turn off the switch next to it.
3. Close the phone application
If you discover there is an app that is malfunctioning your screen, the first alternative to fix it is by closing it. If your phone is an iPhone 8 or an earlier version of iPhone, you should:
- Press the Home button twice simultaneously while the phone is unlocked. By doing so, you will activate the app switcher that shows the apps that are currently running on your iPhone background.
- You can afterwards find the app that you think is causing the glitch and swipe it off the running apps.
If your phone, however, is a newer version of iPhone 8, you can use these steps:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Hold your finger in the middle of the screen until the app switcher appears.
- When the app switcher appears, you can swipe up to close the app that is causing the screen to glitch.
Read Also: Fix an iPhone X that is not downloading apps
4. Uninstall the phone application
If closing the app does not work, you should uninstall it from your phone. In order to remove an app from your iPhone, you need to:
- Light press and hold the app until you see it wiggling.
- Tap on an X sign that appears on the upper left side of the app icon.
- When you tap on it, a notification will pop up on the screen asking you if you want to uninstall the app.
- Since you want to delete this app, tap on the Delete option.
- If you still want the app after deleting it, you can reinstall it from the App Store. If it continues glitching, you’ll have to find another similar app.
5. Mechanical screen repair
When all the above troubleshooting tips do not work for your iPhone, you have no other alternative but to take it for screen repair. You can take it to the Apple Store or the Plus company to repair the glitching screen.
The AppleCare+ phone warranty cover will help you access technical support. You should book an appointment with an Apple technician who will help fix your phone when you take it to the Apple Store.
You can also take your phone to Plus, a popular repair company that delivers a technician to your location in a few minutes. Another advantage of using Plus is that all their repairs are covered with unlimited warranty.
These troubleshooting tips are very easy and effective, as proven by people around the world. With every version of iPhone, there are different steps of fixing an iPhone that looks glitchy. You can use one of the methods listed above, and if it fails, you can alternatively use the other ones.
You have an option to hard reset your phone, turn off the Auto-Brightness, close or delete the phone apps or mechanically repair your screen. Either way, you are assured of a glitch-free screen that you can use effectively and comfortably wherever you are.
Melvin is a senior writer at iMentality. A DIYer at heart, Melvin loves to craft things in the tech space. He has amassed over a decade of experience in tech writing with special focus on apps and tech guides.