If you are getting an error stating that “iTunes has an invalid signature” whenever you try to download or run iTunes on your Windows PC, this post will provide you with a few simple and useful ways to help you navigate this problem.
The main issue comes when you download iTunes through your browser, and when you click on run, Windows pops up a notification stating that the signature is invalid, and the software terminates immediately. Here are two working ways to resolve the invalid signature problem on Windows.
Also Read: How to fix iTunes when it freezes
Fixing invalid iTunes Signature Error When Downloading iTunes
You can resolve the “iTunes has an invalid signature” error directly from Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer by following the steps outlined here:
- Open Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer
- Go to Settings>Internet Options > Advanced
- Scroll down to Security
- Uncheck Protect Me from Malicious Sites and Downloads
- Open iTunes
- Download the latest version
Using these steps, you should be able to install iTunes without any problems. However, the following steps will come in handy if you still encounter problems installing an already downloaded iTunes app on your Windows PC.
Fix Invalid Signature Error When Installing iTunes
If you have already downloaded iTunes on your Windows computer, but it is still giving you errors during installation, then follow the steps outlined here:
- Check to ensure you are running Windows as an Administrator
- Download the latest version of iTunes if you don’t have one
- Save the downloaded setup. Don’t click on Run
- Find the installation setup and right-click on it
- Choose Run as Administrator
- iTunes should now begin installing without any problems
If you have a previous version of iTunes installed, it will automatically update it to the latest version. In case iTunes fails to start or update, then you should manually delete the existing version and install the new version.
iTunes Error -1 Fix
An iTunes (-1) error code indicates that the problem could originate from a hardware error. When such a problem occurs, there is no easy fix other than putting your phone into DFU mode. Follow the steps below to put your iPhone into Device Firmware Update mode to fix the iTunes -1 error:
- Connect your iPhone to your MAC or PC via USB
- Press the iPhone Home and Sleep/Wake button at the same time for about 10 seconds, then release the Sleep/Wake button
- Continue holding the Home button until an iTunes pop-up shows a message indicating that your iPhone is in recovery.
- Your iPhone screen will turn black. Wait for it to restore.
If you have missed a step, your iPhone won’t be able to boot in DFU mode. Just repeat the procedure until it does.
Quicktime Invalid Signature Fix
If you get an invalid signature error when updating QuickTime, you should simply uninstall the version on your computer, go to this link and download the latest version of QuickTime. Make sure to uninstall and delete any temporary folders before installing the new version.
ICloud for Windows has Invalid Signature Fix
When using windows 7, 8, or 10, you may have noticed that iCloud sometimes gives an invalid signature error when trying to update it to a newer version.
When this problem occurs, simply ensure to sync all files with your online iCloud account, then delete the current version of iCloud. Go to this link and download the latest version of iCloud, then install it using the recommended settings.
Apple software update invalid signature
When using Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10, you may have come across a message indicating that “Files shared by these updates” has an invalid signature error and will not be installed whenever you update an Apple software. When this message occurs, you should follow the steps below in order:
- Backup of any data from the Apple software causing the issue
- Do a full uninstallation of the software that is causing the problem
- Delete all temporary files left behind by the software
- Download the latest version of the software from the Apple website
- Install it using recommended settings
Your iTunes update should work, but if it doesn’t, simply uninstall the current version of iTunes and download a new one. Install it normally and log in using your Apple ID.
On the other hand, if it is a problem with conflicting software, which is usually Skype, make sure to disable other software before installing iTunes or any other Apple software affected by the issue.
If these steps have helped or if you have an alternate solution, leave it in the comment section below.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex