Sometimes when operating on older version of iTunes or iOS you might find it hard to connect your device to iTunes and instead end up getting the error message,’ iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing;’ this could be solved using the following steps below.
How to fix this issue
Update iTunes and iOS
Consider updating your iPhone, iPad, or Mac OS. Older versions of software especially different versions may experience problems pairing and updating will solve the issue.
To update iTunes
- Open iTunes.
- Select the Help tab
- Click ‘check for updates’ from the drop-down menu that will appear.
iTunes should check and download the latest version after some few minutes.
How to update your iOS
To update iOS
- Go to settings
- Click on General
- Select software update
- If you see download and install then click it but if you see a message your software is up to date then you should know that your iOS version is the okay.
Uninstall then reinstall your iTunes
If you have updated to the latest version of iTunes but your phone can not still connect to iTunes then you might need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes. This might be due to some of its components being corrupted thus you will need to uninstall all its components. After uninstalling them you can try to reinstall and see if it works.
Restart both devices
You can consider restarting either the computer or the iPhone or both. This can be a very simple yet powerful technique which can solve a lot of problems you’re experiencing on the iPhone.
Also, consider checking your USB cable and switching to an apple certified one if you doubt the authenticity of the cable in use
Perform a hard reset on your iPhone
If these methods are not working out yet you might consider to hard reset your iPhone.
To do this
- Connect your iPhone and your computer using a certified Apple USB cable
- Perform a hard reset on your iPhone by pressing the power button and the home button if you are on iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, 5s or iPhone 6. For iPhone 6, iPhone 6s up to iPhone 8 use the power button and the volume down button. For iPhone X use the power button and the volume down button then tap the volume up button
- When the Apple logo will appear on your iPhone iTunes will give you two options to either update or restore your iPhone
- Select restore and confirm your choice
- If it does not work click cancel hen restore on the next screen
You’ve now managed to connect your iPhone to iTunes and the iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because of a missing value error is now gone. Check out our tutorials on other iTunes issues and their fixes.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex