If you own an iPhone, one of the apps you’ll regularly use is iTunes. Not only will you use it for playing music on your iPhone but also in configuring different aspects of your iPhone. If you are using iTunes on PC, whether in Windows 7 or Windows 10, you might be here because iTunes is not responding to any action on your PC. In this post, I will explain why iTunes is unresponsive or slow on Windows or Mac and show you the working solutions for the problem.
Uninstall then reinstall iTunes
If iTunes crashes when connecting to your iPhone, try the following measures to get it to work again.
- Run iTunes installer and uninstall the program.
- To uninstall iTunes completely, launch the Terminal App which can be found in the Utilities folder.
- Run these two commands;
sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
- Enter your password when prompted to do so and press the Return Key.
- Reinstall the program again and make sure to get the correct bit version.
- Restart the computer and launch iTunes in safe mode.
- Unplug the Ethernet cord from the PC or Turn off the Wi-Fi connection if you are using a cellular network.
- Switch cables and use the original Apple-supplied USB cable to connect your iPhone to the PC.
Restarting your Mac will solve this problem as well and here are the steps for doing that.
- From the Apple menu, choose Restart and let the Mac reboot.
- Connect your iPhone to the PC again and launch iTunes.
Third-party plug-ins could also be the reason why iTunes is not responding on Windows 10 and here is how to deal with this challenge.
- Press the Command and Option keys when launching iTunes so as to start it in safe mode.
- Any visual plug-ins that you have installed will be disabled in safe mode and you should click Continue to allow the app to continue with those add-ons disabled.
- If iTunes runs without any issues in safe mode, then the problem is with the third party plug-ins and you will have to isolate them one by one so as to identify the faulty ones. The plug-ins are in the iTunes folder and this is the sequence for finding them. Library > iTunes > iTunes plug-ins.
- Remove the plug-ins one by one and place them on the desktop temporarily until you find the troublesome one.
- Remove the troublesome plug-in or update it if it is out of date.
iTunes is out of date
You could be using an outdated app and that is why iTunes keeps crashing on windows 10. You will have to update it to get it to run properly and here is how to do that.
- Launch iTunes.
- From the main menu, navigate to Check for Updates.
- Download the latest version and restart your PC.
If iTunes is slow on windows you can get it to work properly by signing out of iTunes and then signing in again. Here is how to do that.
- From iTunes menu, navigate to Store.
- Click Sign out then quit iTunes.
- Turn on your Wi-Fi and launch iTunes again.
iTunes not responding on your PC can be quite frustrating as you will not be able to use your favorite app. We have highlighted some of the solutions that will help you solve this problem.
Read Also: Best mac app removers
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex