Group texts are a great way of communicating with your friends, family, and colleagues at the same time. At some point, you may have been added to a group you don’t want or you are tired of the notifications that pop up on your screen. The only option that comes to your mind is leaving the group.
So, can you remove yourself from a group text? Well, you can leave a group text on your iPhone. In this article, we’ll explain how you can do it right from iMessage.
If you do not wish to leave the group text but neither want to receive its messages, you can opt to mute the group.
How to remove yourself from iMessage group texts
To leave a group chat on iMessage, you need to:
- Tap on the Messages app.
- Select the group conversation that you wish to leave.
- Tap on the group icons that are at the top of the thread.
- Scroll down the options and tap on the ‘Leave this Conversation’ option. If you are using iOS 14 or earlier versions, go to the Info button and tap ‘Leave this Conversation’.
Note that you can only leave a group text message if there are more than three people on the thread and they are using an Apple device (iPhone, iPad or iPod touch).
If the option of leaving the group text is not available, it means that one or more members aren’t using an Apple device with iMessage. You cannot leave a group text on iPhone with Android users.
So how do you leave a group chat on iPhone if it won’t let you? Sadly, you can’t, but you can choose to mute the conversation so as to stop receiving notifications from the group text.
Read Also: How to unblock shortcode texting on iPhone
Here’s how you can mute the conversation:
- Go to the group text that you want to leave.
- Tap on the group icons that are at the top of the thread. If your iPhone’s IOS version is 14 or earlier, tap on the group icons at the top and select the Info button.
- Scroll down the options and turn on the Hide Alerts feature.
You can also do this:
- On the message list, swipe left on the group text that you want to leave and tap on the Alerts or Alerts button on the right side for IOS 15 versions.
- For versions of IOS 14 or earlier, tap on the crescent moon icon that is next to the conversation to mute the group text.
In case you find your group text notifications frustrating, it is best that you leave the group text. These easy methods are only successful if the group members are more than three and they are using Apple devices. If the leave option is not available, you can choose to mute the conversation on your group text.
Read Also: Why are my iPhone messages out of order?
Melvin is a senior writer at iMentality. A DIYer at heart, Melvin loves to craft things in the tech space. He has amassed over a decade of experience in tech writing with special focus on apps and tech guides.