Flashback Stories replays snaps from your memories taken on the same day in previous years. They are then posted on your timeline, where you can share, edit or send them to your friends.
You may have checked and noticed that your one-year-ago memories are not showing up. Unfortunately, some of the reasons it is not working are related to the app and not your phone.
However, you can get Flashbacks back on Snapchat in a few simple steps.
Troubleshooting the Flashback stories feature on Snapchat
Some of the reasons why Snapchat Flashback is not working include:
- Application glitches and bugs
- The Snapchat app is outdated
- The servers are down
- Snapchat Memories failed to back up
Below are ways to fix the problems and get the Flashback Stories features to work again.
1. Restart your device
Restarting your phone is the simplest solution to fix Snapchat Flashback feature when it is not working. A simple restart can eliminate the system glitches and bugs that disrupt the smooth operation of an application.
Below are steps on how to restart an iOS device:
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and the side button concurrently until an Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Drag the slider and allow the iPhone to switch off.
- Wait for approximately two minutes before you can switch on your phone.
- Press and hold the side button until an Apple logo appears on the screen.
Alternatively, here is how you restart an Android device:
- Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Down or Up button and Power button.
- Tap on Restart on the Power Off menu.
- Allow the device to rest for two minutes before turning it on by pressing the Power button.
2. Update your Snapchat app
If you have restarted your phone, but there is no change, your Snapchat app is outdated and does not have the latest version.
3. Check the Snapchat server status
Since Snapchat is an international social media app, it is hosted by a server. The servers may be affected by technical issues preventing them from working. Hence, Flashback Memories won’t work on Snapchat.
Since it does not have an official server status page, you might ask your friends if they can access their Memories. If they cannot, the servers may be experiencing a technical problem, and you have to wait for the Snapchat team to fix it.
4. Clear cache and data
Snapchat has access to your storage and stores your snaps on its server to save your phone’s storage. In the process, it leaves behind cache files and residual data copied to Snapchat Memories.
If you have noticed that your Flashback Stories are grey or empty, Snapchat displays the Memories’ cache files and not the story itself. You should therefore clean off the app’s cache data by doing the following:
- Launch the Snapchat app on your device.
- Tap on My Profile, represented by your Snapchat avatar.
- Tap on Settings represented with a gear icon.
- Scroll down the menu to Clear Cache and tap on it.
- Tap on Clear All or Continue if you are using an Android. Note that your Memories will not be deleted.
- Restart your device and check whether your Flashback Memories will appear.
5. Snapchat Memories are not backed up
The Snapchat team advises that you backup your Snaps and Memories before signing out of the app and signing in to a new device. This way, you will not lose all your Memories since they are stored on Snapchat’s server.
To ensure that your Snaps are backed up, you should follow the following steps:
- Launch your Snapchat app.
- Tap on your Snapchat profile.
- Tap on Settings on the top right corner of the screen. A gear icon represents it.
- Select Memories.
- Turn on the Smart Backup option.
Hopefully, Snapchat Flashback is now working after you complete the above steps.
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex