The Sync feature on Apple devices helps users to connect all their devices using one account. As a result, they can conveniently manage and use various features from any of their Apple devices. But what happens when you no longer want to sync some devices?
For instance, if you gift or sell an iPad/iPhone to a family or friend, you’ll want to disconnect it from your Apple ID. This way the device won’t be able to access data shared between your devices.
So, how do you unsync an iPhone from Mac, iPad, or iPod touch?
How to unsync and disconnect Apple devices
You can unsync and disconnect an iPhone, iPad, Mac, and iPod Touch from another Apple device in different ways, including:
- Turn off iCloud syncing for specific apps
- Log out of your Apple ID
- Disable Handoff
- Remove the device using iTunes
- Remove the device through Settings
1. Unsyncing specific iPhone app services from iPad
If you don’t want data files and calls to sync between your iPhone and iPad that use the same Apple ID, here’s what you should do:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on your Apple ID user name at the top.
- Tap on iCloud. You’ll see a long list of apps using iCloud, most of which are toggled On by default.
- Toggle Off the services you don’t want to sync between your iPhone and iPad.
This option is ideal if several people in your household use your iPad or Mac and you don’t want them to access your data. It will disconnect your iPhone messages from Mac and iPad so you can enjoy privacy. You can toggle the services back On later.
2. Steps to unsync iPhone from iPad by logging out of Apple ID
To completely disconnect your iPad from your iPhone, you must log out of the Apple ID. It’s the main factor joining the two devices, so if you log out from one of the devices, your files and other features won’t sync.
Use the guide below:
- Open Settings on your device.
- Tap on the Apple ID User name at the top.
- Scroll down and tap on Sign Out.
If you have another Apple ID, you could use it on the device. Even better, you can create a new Apple ID.
3. Disable Handoff
Handoff usually syncs apps like Safari across connected Apple devices. Here is how to turn it off:
- Launch Settings on your device.
- Tap on General.
- Toggle Off Handoff.
4. How to stop syncing your Mac on iPhone
To stop your Mac from syncing certain features and app activities on your iPhone:
- Go to Apple Menu
- Select System preferences
- Tap on Apple ID
- Next, uncheck the boxes of all the services you don’t want to sync
If you prefer to completely unlink an iPhone from MacBook Air, open the Apple Menu > System Preference > Apple ID > click on your iPhone > Remove from Account.
You can also disable Handoff by going to System Preferences > General and unchecking the box next to Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.
5. How to disconnect a Mac from iPhone calls
If you don’t want to receive incoming calls and FaceTime call alerts from your iPhone on your Mac, here’s what you should do:
- Open FaceTime on your Mac and go to Preferences > Settings > uncheck Calls from iPhone.
- You can also configure it from your iPhone by going to Settings > Phone > Calls on other Devices. Toggle Off the switch next to Mac.
6. How to stop iPad from getting iPhone messages
You can also disable iMessage on iPad and Mac so that the messages only come to your iPhone.
- On your Mac, open the Messages app > Click on Messages > Select Preferences from the drop-down menu > click on Accounts > Click on your Apple ID from the list > Uncheck Enable this Account or Sign out. Finally, close the app, and you won’t see any iMessage notifications on your Mac.
- To turn off iMessage on iPad, go to Settings > Messages > toggle Off iMessage.
- Also, you should disable text message forwarding to prevent messages from appearing on the iPad. Open Settings on your iPhone > Tap on Messages > Tap on Text Message Forwarding. Uncheck your iPad and Mac, so they don’t send and receive messages from your iPhone.
7. How to unlink an Apple device using iTunes
Here’s how to use iTunes to disconnect an iPhone or iPad from your Apple ID:
- First, launch iTunes on your computer.
- Go to the menu and click on Account.
- Next, click View My Account.
- Enter your password if prompted to.
- Go to iTunes in the Cloud and click on Manage Devices.
- You will see a list of all the devices associated with your Apple ID.
- Find the device you want to disconnect and click Remove.
8. How to disconnect Apple devices using any device
If you want to remove an iPad, Mac, or iPhone from the list of connected devices using any of the devices, follow the guide below:
- Open Settings on your device.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap on iTunes & App Store.
- Select your Apple ID.
- Tap on View Apple ID.
- Enter your account password if you’re prompted to.
- Find the device you want to disconnect and tap on it.
- Select Remove this Device.
- The device will be unlinked from your Apple ID and its associated devices.
That’s how to unsync an iPhone and a computer (Mac) or iPad. Hopefully, you managed to disconnect your device(s).
Alex is an IT technician who shares his experiences with Apple devices occasionally. He has a collection of Apple devices (from iPhone 4) and has recently started trying out Android.
IG: @I M_Alex